What to do with all the apples we picked (and bought) at Carter Mountain— make Fresh Apple Cake!
2 cups upshifted all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt
4 cups finely diced pared raw apples (I think we used about 4/5 apples)
½ cup soft butter or margarine
- Preheat oven to 325. Grease 13 X 9 baking pan
- Into large bowl add flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir.
- Add apples, nuts, butter, and eggs.
- Beat until just combined (It will be thick).
- Turn into prepared pan.
- Bake one hour until top springs back when lightly pressed.
- Cool slightly and top with confectioner’s sugar.
- Serve warm. Top with whipped cream or ice cream<.
How to include a toddler:
- Adding the ingredients to the bowls. Modifications: Adding the apples so that he could scoop the apples into the bowl.
- Cutting the apples… well some of them. See cutting/slicing in action here.
- Breaking the eggs.
- And of course, taste testing!
Here are a few pictures of my toddler hard at work– not the greatest, it is hard to take pictures while cooking with a toddler!
Download a printable recipe
Click here to download a printable pdf of the Fresh Apple Cake Recipe.
Leave a Reply