This lesson is part of our Farm Theme. A fun simple match up exercise.
AGES: 2-3+ YEAR-OLDS
- Free Print outs: See below to download.
- Cardstock: I recommend printing these on cardstock, however regular paper will do.
- Optional: Laminate the cards to prolong their use: I use the Scotch Thermal Laminator (TL901).
- 3/4″ Round Magnet 50-Pack
- Glitter Poms Poms; 1/2″ Asst. Colors: 8 Red, 9 Blue, 13 Black (I do not recommend the regular PomPoms. I used those for the black and my son pulled them apart)
- Hot Glue
- Cookie sheet or magnet board.
- Tape: I use Painters Tape because it removed easily
DIRECTIONS FOR ADULT:
- Hot glue the Glitter Poms Poms to the 3/4″ Round Magnets.
- Print sheets and Laminate if desired.
- Tape sheets to cookie sheet or magnet board.
- Demo to child how to add the magnets to matching circles.
DIRECTIONS FOR CHILD:
- Add magnets to matching circles.
Don’t feel you need to correct them on color. Demo matching colors but if they are new to this, start with just matching the circles, then up the expectations to colors when they seem ready by guiding them in the vocabulary you are using for what they are doing.
And let them play with them, my son likes to line them up as like trains (you can see this in the first picture below).
- Fine Motor Skills
- Color discrimination
Images of the Process:
Our Magnet Board: After seeing this idea floating around on Pinterest, we attached an oil pan we picked up from Walmart to the wall, and below it four small bins to hold magnets. Total cost about $15.