I made a fun sensory bin for our Butterfly Theme Playdate and Art Lesson. I was going to put in a bunch of butterflies but since my son is in love with bugs, I made a sensory bin with various bugs, including butterflies. We used bird seed to fill the bin. I warn this is not for the neat at heart if you are planning to use this inside. I have been using a sensory bin since Kodi was 15 months. I also have worked on teaching him to keep everything inside the bin. However, this just has a way of jumping out of the bin! Hands down this has been his favorite sensory bin medium. He really loved dumping and scooping the seed. And his new favorite thing was to hide something and then have me look for it! He has had this out for over two weeks and he is still playing with it every day.
Items in the bin:
- 12 Sand Pail Beach Play Sets, small 3.25″ Bucket w/Rake, Scoop and Shovel- 12 sets. I bought these for his birthday party as take aways and had a few left over.
- Insect Lore Big Bunch O’ Bugs 15-Pack
- Learning Resources Early Science Explorer’s Set
- Bag of Bird Seed. I used a bag I picked up at Walmart.
And I would like to thank my Husband for making this nifty bin!
Extend the learning
Read the book Creepy Crawly Calypso
Watch the book and listen to the song online:
- Types of Bugs: Butterfly, Beetle, Ladybug, Ant, Spider, Dragonfly, Cricket….
- Magnifying Glass