As most of you know a few weeks ago I had to go on a Dairy and Soy Free diet. Along the way I have also had to cut out other foods like chocolate and beef. While Dairy and Soy are hard, sweets are near and dear to my heart, and well with no chocolate, it is hard to find a good sweet that also doesn’t have milk or yummy butter.
On my quest for the ultimate sweet. I started with these easy sugar cookies. The original recipe can be found here. Below is my updated recipe to make it soy/dairy free.
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (You could try replacing this with a gluten free option, I think I will try that next time I make them)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup SOY FREE earth balance natural buttery spread (you can pick this up at any health food store and the new Kroger in Carytown carries it)
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Penzey’s Double Strength Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, and place onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.