This lesson was just a fun lesson that we made after visiting Butterfly Live at Lewis Ginter. I had left over butterfly shapes from our butterfly playdate art project Decorate a Butterfly that I had been wanting to find a good use for.
AGES: 2-3+ YEAR-OLDS
- Tag Board cut into the shape of a Butterfly (Before cutting out the butterfly, the tag board was 12 x 18)
- Washable Tempera in two primary colors
- A couple of paint brushes. I used brushes from Darice 20-Piece Kids Brush Set
DIRECTIONS FOR ADULT:
- Cut out butterfly shape. (Adaption for older children: Have them trace a butterfly template, and then cut it out themselves)
- Fold Butterfly so that only on side can be painted.
- Once child is fished painting one side of the butterfly, fold so paint is on the inside, rub, and then open. (Older children can do this step.)
DIRECTIONS FOR CHILD:
- Coloring mixing
- Coloring mixing: red + yellow= orange; blue + yellow= green; red + blue= purple
IMAGES OF THE PROCESS
Read Waiting for Wings