This lesson is part of our Farm Theme. This is a fun processed based project on its own, and can be combined with the Wooly Sheep Art Project, and the Pig in the Mud Art Project (lessons for those coming soon!).
Ages: 2-4+ year-olds
- 18′ x 24″ Art Paper
- Brown Tempera Paint
- Green Tempera Paint
- Foam Rollers with Texture. I used Inovart Foamie Design Rollers
- Art Easel. We use Melissa & Doug Deluxe Standing Easel
- Cookie Sheet (from the dollar store)
Directions for adult:
- Set up paper on easel.
- Set up a stool or something that the cookie sheet can sit on. I used painters tape and warped it around the stool and cookie sheet.
- Add paint, either green or brown, to the cookie sheet.
- Demo how to roll and how to gently add more paint to the roller.
Directions for child:
- Roll the paint.
Don’t be afraid to let them explore the paint, and the roller. My son loves to turn his paint brushes around and scratch with them! I love when he does this.
When finished combine with the Wooly Sheep project (if green paint) or the pig in the mud project (if brown paint). (lessons for those coming soon!)
- Large Motor Skills
- Engages the whole body
- Handling various materials and supplies correctly.
Why your child needs an art easel
Yes, they are space hogs! I am so tired of stepping into mine while in the kitchen. But our easel is up and out all the time. I rotate special materials in, like this one, and leave out markers to use when, and if, he is so inspired. Easels, are important because they allow for large motor development. They are also great for active little bodies that when sitting tend to not be as engaged.
Read Driving My Tractor