This lesson was part of the Butterfly Theme Art Lesson Playdate.
AGES: 3-4 YEAR-OLDS
- Younger children, just let them stamp and explore the materials
- Older children, follow directions below. However allow for modifications based on experience with materials.
- Tag Board, 12 x 18 in
- Black Tempra Paint
- Green Tempra Paint (for background)
- Sponge (for background)
- Upcycled Yogurt Cup
- Upcycled disposable plastic fork
- Cookie Sheet (I picked one up at the dollar store)
- Hot Glue
- Black Pipe Cleaners
- Google Eyes
DIRECTIONS FOR ADULT:
- Put green tempra paint on sponge and smear on tag board to create colored background, and allow to dry. (If you have older children, they can do this part and then allow it to dry before moving on to the next part)
DIRECTIONS FOR CHILD:
- Stamp with black paint and yogurt cup circles in a row, like a train. Younger children might want guidance to align the circles.
- Use fork to stamp legs.
- Have adult add google eyes and antenas with hot glue.
- Draw line with mouth.
- Fine motor coordination.
- Pre-reading left to right.
Below is the finished product of my 2 year old when I helped guide him. He loves to make are with Mama, and so this works for him. If he was not into this, I would not force a product at this age.
This is when he just had at with the materials on his own.
This is a product of a three year-old after watching demonstration.