My house smells so yummy right now I can’t stand it. I am cooking like crazy to get food into the freezer before the little one arrives. One of the dishes I am making is an Italian Pot Roast. I think the combination of cloves in this makes the house smell wonderful but it makes it a hard dish to cook while at home all day while pregnant, unless you want to start eating everything in the house!
3 pounds beef chuck roast
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
freshly ground pepper
1/2 yellow onion , finely chopped
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots , peeled and sliced
1 cup red wine
1 14.5-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon, cloves and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet, over medium-heat. Add the meat and cook, turning for around 10 minutes until browned on all sides. Transfer to your slow cooker.
- Add the onion to the pan and sauté, stirring frequently until lightly browned. Add the garlic, celery and carrots and sauté for another 3 minutes. Add the spice mixture and wine and cook for about 10 minutes or until reduced by a third. Stir in crushed tomatoes.
- Add sauce to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours until the meat is tender.